Car Accident Lawsuit Process
If you are involved in a car accident and you believe that someone else was responsible for causing the car accident, you may be able to file a car accident claim or car accident lawsuit against that person in order to recover damages via a personal injury claim for any injuries or other losses you have suffered. The process for filing a car accident lawsuit generally follows these steps:
- The first thing to do is seek medical attention after the car accident: If you or any other injury victims or parties involved in the accident were injured, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Your health should be your top priority. Try not to worry about the potential for expensive medical treatment or medical bills; most car accident lawsuits can help recover medical expenses and other medical treatment costs.
- Contact a car accident attorney: It is a good idea to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney who can advise you on your legal options regarding a car accident settlement and help you navigate the process of filing a car accident lawsuit. A personal injury lawsuit attorney can also negotiate with an insurance company (even if it’s the other driver’s insurance company) on your behalf, to negotiate a car accident settlement.
- Investigation: A car accident lawyer will conduct an investigation into the car accident claim to gather evidence from the motor vehicle accident site, interview witnesses, and establish who was at fault for the car crash. The personal injury lawyer will also take into consideration what costs arose from the car accident, including: lost wages and medical bills from the injuries occurred.
- Filing the car accident lawsuit: If your personal injury attorney believes that you have a strong car accident case, they will file a car accident lawsuit on your behalf in the appropriate court. The car accident attorney team at the Lawyers for Justice, PC law firm have been fighting for the rights of Californians for over a decade and have helped them through the car accident lawsuit process so they can get what they deserve in a car accident settlement.
- Discovery: When the car accident case is in the process of being heard, both parties involved in the car accident exchange information and evidence through a process called “discovery.” This may include documents, medical records, witness statements, and depositions pertaining to the car accident lawsuit.
- Mediation or settlement process negotiations: Before a car accident case goes to trial, the parties involved may engage in mediation or settlement negotiations in an attempt to reach a settlement and avoid a trial. This part of the car accident lawsuit process typically involves the at fault driver and their insurance company and/or personal injury lawyers offering a fair settlement payment for the auto accident claim.
- Trial: If an auto accident settlement cannot be reached, the auto accident lawsuit case will go to trial. During the trial, both sides will present their evidence and arguments to a judge or jury trial.
- Verdict and appeal: After the trial, the judge or jury will render a verdict, or final decision. If you win, you will be awarded damages. If you lose, you may have the option to appeal the decision.
It is important to note that the specific process for a car accident lawsuit may vary depending on the circumstances of the case and the laws of the jurisdiction where the case is filed.
Dealing with a personal injury claim, specifically relating to auto accident lawsuits, can be a daunting and scary process. The best decision for victims of car accident cases is to hire a car accident lawyer or personal injury attorney. A car accident lawyer will fight for your rights to make sure you get everything you are owed.
Car Accident Settlement – FAQ
what is an auto accident settlement timeline in California? California state law requires an insurance company to settle claims within 85 days after the date of filing. Other deadlines come into play during the accident lawsuit process. Call a call accident lawyer for more information. (844) 568-1702
how long does it take to settle a car accident? Car accident settlements vary on many different factors, especially in personal injury cases. It can take from a matter of weeks to sometimes more than a year.
how long does car accident settlement negotiations take? A fair settlement timeline varies depending on the negotiation process and how much the victim is willing to accept for their medical expenses and other costs.
how long does it take to get a settlement check from a car accident? Typically, in personal injury cases involving an auto accident lawsuit that is minor, the time frame for receiving a favorable settlement will take between three and six months. Car accidents that are more serious and involve accident victims with severe injuries, police reports, a court trial, and lost wages, it can take several years from start to finish.
how to get a settlement from a car accident? Car accident lawsuits settle when a powerful law firm or car accident lawyer can stand up for your rights and speak on your behalf. A personal injury attorney knows the law better than anyone and can retrieve damages you may not be able to get on your own.
how much do lawyers take from car accident settlement? Some personal injury lawyer legal team members charge expensive fees for their services. Lawyers for Justice, PC does not charge any up-front fees. Clients only pay if the experienced attorney assigned to their case wins the case for them.
will i get a settlement from car accident? The first thing to do is to contact Lawyers for Justice, PC for a free consultation. Our law firm can help by putting you in touch with the right auto accident attorney. At LFJ, clients don’t pay any fees unless they win their car accident case.